Thursday, October 28, 2010

smile sound

Before I moved to Panda Land, some of my friends were concerned about how my laugh would be received. If you've never heard what some affectionately call a "Shanda laugh" I'll simply say... it's not quiet. (Sometimes I do laugh quietly... sometimes I even laugh silently... but sometimes I laugh in a way that is anything but silent!)  People tend to love it, which sometimes surprises me!  Then there are people like that one lady at Sbux who almost beat me up because of it... and my fabulous friends wanted to beat HER up! So anyway, they were afraid that this more reserved culture would not appreciate or even possibly dislike my laughter. 


SO... 


I thought I should let all those who were concerned know... Students LOVE my laugh! I can't guarantee that they all do, but several of them have come and told me how happy it makes them to hear it and how they have never heard anyone in their country laugh the way I do! There is one girl who now does an imitation that is pretty darn good and when she does it... A "Shanda laugh" erupts from the Shanda! :) (Yeah, I just called myself "the Shanda" ... Will you still be my friend?)


Today, there were two conversations on the topic of my laugh that made my laugh so hard my stomach hurt.


1.  I was walking with a group of 5 girls (students). I laughed a laugh that was ALMOST a Shanda laugh... and one of the girls said, "Your... ... ... long pause to think ... ... ... smile sound?" [Insert "Shanda laugh" here!] [Wait for me to stop and contain myself...] "Sorry... You mean my LAUGH?..." "Ah, yes yes... I forgot the word! Sorry!" "No! I love that you said smile sound! It is PERFECT! Okay, continue. What about my smile sounds?" "Your LAUGH... or smile sound... is STRONGER than all other people!" [Insert a pretty good laugh here... but not a "Shanda laugh" ... you can't do that all the time or it's not as special anymore.] "Yes. I know. Sometimes it is. Sorry." "Oh nooo. Do not be sorry. It is so wonderful! It makes me feel good!


2. Several hours later, while FRRRREEEEZING at English Corner a friend/student told me, "I think I need to record your laugh and then use it as my alarm clock. When I do not want to wake up in the morning it will get me out of bed... and ALL of my roommates too! And not only will we be awake, we will also be happy! " 


So friends... Have no fear. The "Shanda laugh" is being well received.


And Lindsey, I will work on that video for you so you can have a little piece... :) 


Also, I'm officially calling laughter SMILE SOUND from now on! 

4 comments:

  1. So instead of lol, should we use "loss" (lots of smile sound)
    (that's from Scott by the way)

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking that smile sound should only be used for your laughs. It makes them more special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!!! Thank you thank you thank you! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete