Thursday, September 9, 2010

NUMB!


Hot food is the hot thing here. I don't mind spicy. Actually, I kind of like it. But there's this thing. It sneaks its way into your mouth, you bite it, and your entire mouth goes NUMB! The meal might as well be over because you won't be tasting it. They love it here. People ask me, "Do you like spicy food?" I say, "Yes. But I do not like huajiao!" They laugh. They know foreigners do not typically appreciate what huajiao has to offer to the world. I ask, "Do you like it?" And they look at me as if I am nuts and say, "OF COURSE! I love it!" I avoid it as best I can. I'm usually successful. But every now and then there is a dish like this one:
... and then it's pretty much unavoidable.

I don't know if you can tell or not but it is FULL of this crazy pepper. So, if and when any of you come to visit me... I will not make you eat this. But if you ever feel like numbing your mouth, then fly on over and I'll take you to experience the wonders.

Posts about the wonderfulness of the DELICIOUS food that does not contain huajiao will come in the future. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment