but...
I can buy juice at a convenience store.
&
I can go to the supermarket and come home with a bag full of things I need.
&
I can order food at a restaurant.
&
I can take a taxi.
&
I can take a bus.
&
I can understand some things people say to me.
&
I can say some things to people and SOMETIMES they can understand me.
Are you IMPRESSED?
Because people here are!
For some reason when I'm out doing one of these things and I run into someone I know, they are always SHOCKED that I'm alone doing such things.
I mean, really...
I've learned basic basic stuff...
Things that help me feel like a functioning human being - sometimes.
It's not really very impressive.
But when these friends/acquaintances see me out and about they stand in total AWE and say:
How do you know how to pay?
How do you know where to find it?
You understood what she said?
You come here all the time and know the workers?
...
Wow.
You are so clever!
I don't understand what they expect me to do.
Do they really think that every time I want to buy juice I have to call someone to help me?
Granted ...
I don't always know what I am buying because I can't read the labels.
I buy Vidal Sassoon shampoo and conditioner these days because it's a familiar brand
and they actually have conditioner (and that's hard to find).
There are several kinds/colors.
I have no idea what the differences in them are.
I just pick one and hope it doesn't turn my hair into a frizz fest.
And while I can order at a restaurant,
I can only order dishes I've had before and remember how to say...
or I use the point and guess method (but that's rarer now days).
I also love how people that know me from the University often assume I can't speak a word of the language... because when I'm working I only speak English...
But if when I'm out and about in the city I say a sentence, or even a word, people are suddenly convinced that I'm fluent...
And trust me... there's nothing anywhere NEAR fluent coming out of this mouth or sitting in this mind.
Speaking of which, I better go study. I have a language test tomorrow.
Peace.
GONG BAO JI DING! (kung pao chicken) Shakabooyee!! (that's what Po screams in Kung Fu Panda)
ReplyDeleteBU YAO CONG (I don't want onions)
... those three phrases are really all you need in panda land.... I'm pretty sure those are the only one's I remember now.